Mini Mac Bowl
This recipe is a wonderful alternative to a Big Mac, In & Out, or other cheeseburger that strikes your fancy when you know it’s not good for you. Having the taste of questionable foods, rather than the consequences is the cornerstone of “Nutritious and Delicious”. These are the kinds of hacks that make us smile. All fun, and no guilt. This is especially a good way to get your kids eating more healthfully. Many studies have shown that children raised with this kind of palate do not crave unhealthy foods, and actually become influencers among their friends! Hard to believe you can have a lasting effect on many lives with a Mini Mac Bowl, but serve it when your kids have friends over and see how much they love it! We know you will love it too… This recipe is written out per serving by composing individual bowls. You may assemble that way, or multiply your ingredients into one large bowl for the number of people you are serving. (1 serving)
- 2 Tbsps. yellow or white onion, diced
- 5 oz. 95-99% Extra Lean Ground Turkey/Chicken Breast
- 2 Tbsps. Light Thousand Island Dressing (Bolthouse Yogurt 1000 Island is good option)
- 1/4 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. Onion Powder
- 3 cups Romaine Lettuce, shredded
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsps. Reduced-Fat Cheddar, shredded
- 1 oz. Dill Pickle Slices (optional)
- For ‘Special Sauce’, mix Light Thousand Island Dressing, vinegar, onion powder, and set aside.
- Put a sauté pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- Lightly spray olive oil to cover the surface of the pan after it is hot.
- Add the onion & cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground poultry and cook until fully browned.
- Put lettuce into a bowl.
- Top with the ground poultry, sprinkle with tomatoes then cheese.
- Add pickle slices on top,
- Drizzle with special sauce.
Per serving – 292 calories
- Fat – 16.9 grams
- Carbohydrates – 14 grams
- Protein – 33 grams
- Cholesterol – 13mg
- Sodium – 650.3 mg
- Dietary Fiber – 5.2g
- Sugar – 9.3g
- Calcium – 16.5%
- Iron – 6.1%
- Potassium – 615.6 mg
- Vitamin A – 7.8%
- Vitamin C – 78.1%
Vegan and Vegetarian Alternatives
We don’t know how many Vegans and Vegetarians end up craving a Big Mac, but the dish itself as a fun bowl for everyone. Vegan meat alternatives like Gardein or Impossible are easy to find and are a perfect substitute. There are good vegan cheeses out on the market and the special sauce may be made with vegan mayo and ketchup:
Quick Vegan Mayo:
|1 package||Silken Tofu (firm)|
|½ teaspoon||Dijon Mustard|
|½ scant teaspoon||Kosher Salt|
|2 tablespoons||Apple Cider Vinegar|
|3 tablespoons||Olive Oil|
- Put everything in a bullet, or blender and whiz to perfection!